Wednesday, May 29

Best Vegetarian Chili

I've been a pescetarian since I was 11. It's a nonjudgmental lifestyle. I would never deprive myself of something I wanted; I eat what makes me feel good and healthy, and what tastes good to me.

Growing up, my dad made chili often and it is still a go-to meal for me. One pot, hearty, comforting, filled with protein, topped with cheese...it's basically a big hug in a bowl! He made his with ground beef; I make mine with Veggie Ground Round. Other than that, they're pretty similar.

The Chef, like my dad, is only a pescetarian by default. Meaning there is only one meal made for dinner at home, and there is no meat in it. (When dining out, of course, all menu items are up for grabs.) However, the Chef loves this vegetarian chili. He thinks it could win awards. I always think I've made enough to last for lunch the next day, but the pot is always empty by the end of the night.

The spices in this recipe aren't precise. I love foods like this because you just season until it tastes right, to suit your mood. Maybe one night a little sweeter, the next time a little spicier. So experiment and have fun! And feel free to double the recipe.

www.caratompkinsfoodphoto.com

1 red bell pepper
1/2 white onion
2 cloves garlic (or more)
jalepeño/habeñero/scotch bonnet pepper to desired heat level (I like enough to clear the sinuses but not kill the tastebuds)
1 package veggie ground round
1 Tbs chili powder
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp fresh ground cumin
pinch fresh ground allspice
pinch ground cinnamon
several pinches salt (you can play with flavored salts here too, like smoked or chipotle)
pinch ground black pepper
5-6 dashes Worchestershire sauce
2-3 dashes liquid smoke
2 (14 oz) cans fire roasted chopped tomatoes
2 (14 oz) cans beans any kind, drained (seen here: 1 can black beans, 1 can kidney beans)
1 bay leaf
sour creme, shredded cheddar cheese and chopped green onions for garnish

1. Roast bell pepper over flame until charred. (If you don't have a gas stove, outdoor grill or fire pit, you can sauté the pepper with the other ingredients.)

2. Chop onion, garlic, hot pepper and bell pepper, removing seeds from peppers.

3. Heat oil in a large saucepan or soup pot. Sauté all raw vegetables over medium heat until soft. Add in roasted pepper last.

4. Crumble in veggie ground round, add all seasonings and stir to mix, a few minutes to allow "meat" to brown a bit (but not dry out) and absorb spices.

5. Stir in tomatoes, beans and bay leaf. Turn heat to low, cover, and allow to simmer for at least 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

6. Taste and adjust spices/seasonings if desired.

7. Ladle into bowls and top with sour cream, grated cheese, and green onions. Serve with warm corn bread. Enjoy.

Shoot! I'm hungry.


No comments:

Post a Comment